Background & Experience
- International and Domestic Arbitration
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Internal Investigations and Corporate Compliance
- Partner, Eduardo Palmer, P.A., January 2009 – Present.
- Partner, Rivero Palmer & Mestre LLP, January 2006 – December 2008.
- Partner, Eduardo Palmer, P.A., June 2004 – December 2005.
- Partner, Steel Hector & Davis LLP, September 1997 – June 2004.
- Assistant United States Attorney, Southern District of Florida, September 1989 – August 1997.
- Associate, Fine Jacobson Schwartz Nash Block & England, P.A., September 1987 – August 1989.
- Law Clerk, Judge Kenneth L. Ryskamp, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida, April 1986 – August 1987.
- Chair, International and Domestic Arbitration Department, Steel Hector & Davis LLP; responsible for overseeing international litigation and arbitration matters handled by firm’s eleven offices throughout Florida, Latin America and Europe
- Extensive international litigation and arbitration experience concerning international business disputes before various federal and state courts and international arbitration tribunals involving proceedings in English and Spanish.
- Extensive litigation and jury trial experience in federal and state civil and criminal cases involving complex commercial litigation, tax fraud, securities fraud, mail and wire fraud, forfeiture, and other matters.
- Argued various cases before Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals as well as Florida Appellate Courts.
- Deputy Chief, Economic Crimes Division, United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Florida; responsible for supervision and direction of investigations and prosecutions of white-collar offenses.
- International Affairs Coordinator for United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Florida; responsible for reviewing and coordinating completion of all international requests for judicial assistance, including extradition matters.
- Successfully represented clients in international extradition proceedings.
- Conducted various internal corporate investigations in the U.S. and abroad for Fortune 100 companies.
- Represented clients in connection with congressional investigations and hearings.
- United States Department of Justice Representative; U.S. – Russian talks in Russia on export controls for nuclear and biological weapons in 1995.
- Represented clients before the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
University of Florida College of Law,
J.D., with Honors, 1985.
University of Florida, B.S., 1982.
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Federal Bar, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida.
- Florida Bar
– Chair, International Law Section, 2016.
– Executive Council Member, International Law Section.
- American Bar Association
– International Law Section.
- Adjunct Coach, University of Florida College of Law Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Team.
- Miami International Arbitration Society, Board of Directors, 2008-2015.
- Florida Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Business and Contract Cases, 2009-2015.
- Led effort on behalf of the International Law Section of the Florida Bar to enact the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration in Florida.
- Drafted Miami’s winning bid to host the ICCA Congress in Miami held in 2014.
- Led effort to establish the International Arbitration Subsection of the Miami-Dade Circuit Court in 2013.
- Developed concept of ICC Masterclass for Arbitrators and collaborated with ICC to launch inaugural session held in Paris, France in 2009.
- Worked with ICC to create and launch the ICC’s Annual Miami Conference on International Arbitration in Latin America in 2002.
- AV Rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, FCIArb.
- United States Department of Justice Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant United States Attorney, presented by the Attorney General of the United States.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America under the area of litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite under the area of international Litigation.
- Listed as a Top Lawyer in the South Florida Legal Guide.
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers magazine.
- Florida International University College of Law (FIU); Adjunct Professor, International Commercial Arbitration.
- Instituto de Empresa (IE) Law School, Madrid, Spain; Visiting Professor, Comparative Civil Procedure.
- University of the Balearic Islands (UIB), Mallorca, Spain, Visiting Professor, Introduction to U.S. Legal System.
SPEECHES AND CONFERENCES
- International Arbitrators’ Roundtable, ICDR Arbitration Track, iLaw Conference, Miami, Florida 2020.
- Miami’s Favorable International Arbitration Climate – ICCA Congress, Miami, Florida, 2014.
- The History and Development of International Law in Florida, Including Passage of the UNCITRAL Model Law – Florida Bar, International Law Section Conference, Orlando, Florida, 2011.
- Appointment of Arbitrators – ICC Masterclass for Arbitrators, Paris, France, 2009.
- The Initial Hearing in International Arbitration – Florida Bar, International and Domestic Arbitration Conference, Miami, Florida, 2008.
- Court’s Evaluation of Evident Partiality – ICC: International Commercial Arbitration in Latin America; The ICC Perspective, Miami, Florida, 2007.
- The Search for and Use of Evidence in Arbitration: Forged Documents and Digital Evidence Recovery – ICDR Third Annual Miami International Arbitration Conference, Miami, Florida, 2005.
- Thinking Ahead: Practical Considerations as Trade Between U.S., Cuba Evolves, Daily Business Review, Vol. 91, No. 30 (2016).
- Miami’s Favorable International Arbitration Climate, ICCA Congress Series No.18, 837 (2015).
- The Use of Multi-Tiered Dispute Resolution Clauses in Latin America: Questions of Enforceability, 14 Am. Rev. Int’l Arb. 285 (2003).
- Family, International Relations, Boating and Diving.